BASIL-GREEK – DWARF
BASIL-GREEK – DWARF
Availability: In stock
BASIL-GREEK-DWARF is one of the most valuable plants in the garden. It has a tight compact growing habit. The plant has countless numbers of tiny brilliant green tasty leaves. Aromatic, lightly fresh, nicely spicy. The shape & scent make the plant suitable for growing virtually in any kitchen or herb garden, beds, borders & path edging not forgetting window boxes & patios.
How to Grow Dwarf Greek Basil
- Choose the right location with well-draining soil and full sun exposure for optimal growth.
- Prepare the soil to ensure that the soil is rich in organic matter, and amend it if necessary. Greek Dwarf plants prefer a slightly acidic soil with a pH of 6.0 to 6.5.
- Start Greek Dwarf Basil indoors in pots or directly in the garden. When planting, space seeds 15 – 30sm (6 to 12 inches) apart, depending on the variety.
- Watering your Greek Dwarf plant requires consistent moisture throughout the growing season. Be careful not to overwater, as this can lead to root rot.
- Fertilisation will benefit your herb from regular applications of compost or an all-purpose fertiliser.
- Prune regularly to promote bushier growth and help prevent legginess.
- Pests and diseases are not common with Greek Dwarf plants. They are relatively hardy and do not often suffer from major pest or disease issues. However, be on the lookout for aphids and powdery mildew and treat promptly if necessary.
Heritage of Dwarf Greek Basil
Greek Dwarf Basil, also known as ‘Minimum,’ is a type of basil that is native to the Mediterranean region. It is believed to be the smallest variety of basil and generally used in culinary dishes for its intense flavour and aroma. It finds common usage in Greek and Italian cuisine, including dishes like pesto, caprese salad, and tomato sauce. And of course used herb gardens and container gardens.
Dwarf Greek Basil possesses high levels of essential oils, which give it a strong, spicy flavor that is slightly peppery and minty. Like other basil varieties, Greek Dwarf Basil has been used for centuries in traditional medicine for its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. In addition to its use as a culinary herb, people utilize Greek Basil in aromatherapy and for producing natural perfumes and soaps
Scoville Heat Units (SHU)
Plant Height (cm)
20 - 30
Season of Interest
Spring / Summer / Fall
Temperature Range (°C)
15 - 25
Determine / Indeterminate
Annual / Perennial / Biennial
Frost Hardy / Tender
Full Sun / Part Sun / Shade
Sow Direct / Raise Seedlings
Direct / Raise seedlings
Well-draining soil with organic matter
6.0 - 7.5
Soil Temperature (°C)
20 - 25
No special preparation required
Sowing Depth (mm)
Plant Spacing (cm)
20 - 30
Row spacing (cm)
30 - 45
Regular to keep soil moist, not waterlogged
Germination Time (Days)
5 - 10
Harvest Time (Days)
50 - 60
Good Companion Plants
Tomatoes, Peppers, Oregano, Parsley
Bad Companion Plants
Rue, Anise, Fennel,
aphids, spider mites, whiteflies, thrips
Fusarium wilt, Downy mildew, Bacterial leaf spot
More About Us
ABSeeds is an Australian owned business trading under the umbrella of Direct Compost Solutions which is owned and managed by Victoria Brun.
We as a company endeavor to provide to the public, Organic, Old Fashioned, Heritage, and Open-pollinated seeds that have not been genetically modified.
We purchased the business in November 2018 and renamed it to ABSeeds (All ‘Bout Seeds) to make the title shorter and represent what we hope to achieve with this business in the years ahead.
Seeds that we can’t grow ourselves we will acquire from people who grow for us, or we may purchase seeds from reputable heritage seed companies.